Written by Dyami Millarson
What dictionary should one use for learning Swiss German? Where to find a reliable free online Swiss German dictionary? Are there any good, free (i.e., public domain) dictionaries of Swiss German available? These are all questions one might have when one intends to learn Swiss German.
One reliable digitised Swiss German dictionary I know is the following: Schweizerisches Idiotikon.
Potential disadvantages of this dictionary:
- it requires one to know German and this might be a hurdle for some;
- it might take time to learn how to make optimal use of this dictionary;
- one gets overloaded with technical information about different word variations and this might initially make one confused about what forms to choose for one’s own usage;
- when one checks the scanned original dictionary entry, one is obliged to transcribe the phonetic spelling to a modern Swiss German spelling.
Potential advantages of this dictionary:
- it contains an abundance of information that is still relevant today;
- it contains practical grammatical information (such as the conjugation of irregular verbs);
- it informs you properly about word variations found in Germanic Switzerland;
- if you know how to use this dictionary, it will make learning Swiss German easier.